“No Deal” Brexit will mean that Green Cards are required for European motoring

As 31 October approaches, uncertainty continues about whether the UK will leave the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement (a ‘no-deal Brexit’).

If this happens, UK motor insurance customers driving in the European Economic Area (including the Republic of Ireland), Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel, commonly referred to as a Green Card.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that you are suitably insured to drive in these countries.

A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If you arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, you will not be allowed to drive in that country.

Please let your broker know as soon as possible if you are planning to drive your vehicle abroad, with details of where you are planning to drive and dates, so that a Green Card can be issued in good time.